Swiss Green Tariff makes flying more sustainable throughout Europe


Zurich – Swiss and Lufthansa will offer the Green Tariff throughout Europe in the future. Emissions are offset via the ticket price. As a test phase in Scandinavia showed, this makes air traffic more sustainable.

Swiss International Air Lines and the airlines of the Lufthansa Group are introducing the Green Tariff for all of Europe after its promising start in Scandinavia, according to a media release. For passengers who choose the offer, compensation for flight-related CO2 emissions is already included in the price.

The tariff has reportedly been tested in several Scandinavian countries since August 2022. According to Swiss, the use of sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) saved 20 percent CO2 when the green tariff was selected. The remaining 80 percent was offset by a contribution to “high-quality climate protection projects.”

The Green Tariff represents an important milestone in the transformation of air transport in the production and development of SAF, according to the press release. Compared to kerosene, the current generation of sustainable fuels achieves a CO2 reduction of 80 percent. Swiss sees potential for “virtually CO2-neutral aviation” in SAF.

There are additional amenities associated with the purchase of the Green Tariff. This way, passengers receive additional status miles and can rebook free of charge. The Green Tariff can be booked in Business and Economy Class. Those flying with Edelweiss can also choose the new fare.

According to the company, Swiss has agreed with the Lufthansa Group on a number of innovative measures on the way to a neutral CO2 balance by 2050. heg